Australian Dairy Industry Council
The Australian Dairy Industry Council (ADIC) is the peak national representative body of the Australian dairy industry.
Representing the interests of Australian dairy’s whole value chain through its two constituent bodies, Australian Dairy Farmers (ADF) and the Australian Dairy Products Federation (ADPF), the partnership is a unique to Australian agriculture and provides a strong, unified approach to industry and government advocacy.
The ADIC is funded by the 13 largest dairy processing companies in Australia and provides funding for investment in projects that aim to improve the entire value chain’s sustainability and profitability.
The ADIC’s 2015-16 highlights include
- After extensive lobbying,the China-Australia Free Trade Agreement was ratified in December 2015.
- We successfully lobbied for the Seasonal Worker Programme to expand to the dairy industry, increasing our access to overseas workers
to fill workforce shortages.
- We have provided leadership on policies and frameworks to create a strong culture of wellbeing on-farm and developed greater linkages
with health organisations who support dairy farmers.
- Released the 2015 progress report of the Australian Dairy Industry Sustainability Framework, measuring the industry’s performance against 11 targets and 29 measures, and under three themes: enhancing livelihoods, improving wellbeing and reducing environmental impact.
- The success of the Sustainability Framework was highlighted when the Australian Dairy Industry Council won the 2016 Organisation Leadership
Award from the United Nations Association of Australia.
We initiated consultation with farmers, vets, and processors to begin the phase-out of routine calving induction, and implemented a revised policy.
- Advocated strongly to amend the Dairy Produce Act 1986 to remove the requirement for the dairy industry to hold a dairy levy poll every
five years; the legislation passed in March 2016.
- Develop a voluntary industry wide code of best practice on contractual arrangements with farmers.
Read more in the ADF Annual Review 2015-16.
For more information about the ADIC, click here.