Farming systems and herd improvement
The Farming systems and herd improvement Policy Advisory Group’s (PAG) focus is to drive sustainable farm profitability. This PAG supports ADF’s policy and advocacy work on issues ranging from dairy research, development and extension (R,D&E) strategy, farm decision-making tools, farm business management, Genetic Modification (GM) delivery to farm, herd improvement, and agricultural and veterinary (Agvet) chemicals.
The PAG also has important links to both the Australian Dairy Herd Improvement Scheme (ADHIS) and the Dairy Futures Cooperative Research Centre (Dairy Futures CRC), and is strongly supported through technical input from Dairy Australia.
- National R,D&E strategy and priority setting, including Dairy Moving Forward
- Farm systems
- Farm decision making tools
- Biotechnology and GM delivery to farm
- Gene markers
- Herd improvement
- R,D&E investment priorities
- Genetic information systems and data capture improvement
- Australian Dairy Herd Improvement Scheme (ADHIS)
- Co-operative Research Centre
- Continue to breed cows based on research proven for Australian conditions.
- Improve fertility and the capacity for genetic improvements through technology.
- Enhance dairy farmers’ ability to confidently manage animal performance and respond to challenges.
- Build greater industry innovation through collaborative R,D&E.
- Encourage a culture that understands that good business management results in improved decisions.
- Tyran Jones (Chair)
- Simone Jolliffe
- Daryl Hoey
- Gary Zweck
- Patrick Glass
- Chris Hofing
- Ross McInnes
- Brian Wilson